Sunday, November 4, 2007

in which I talk about spinning

The wheel arrived Friday, accompanied by a chorus of angels. I think the UPS truck may have been glowing, too. I was a little excited.






It came during baby Sister's nap, while the boys were at school, how cool is that? So I got to put it together and take a few (hundred) pictures right away. I didn't get to spin until after the kids were in bed that night, but that's okay. We spun all night and made beautiful yarn together.



Okay, so, pulling my head out of the clouds a little bit, some details. This is the spanking new Schacht Ladybug. Why did I choose the Ladybug? It's hard to say. There are so many different wheels out there, and with only one local spinning store and limited alone time to try things, most of my research was internet-based. I knew I liked the more modern-looking wheels, and I knew my budget was not astronomical. The wheel I got to try in person and kind of fell in love with was the Schacht Matchless. It's price was, well, a bit much for me - $800ish. Enter the Ladybug, made by the same company, using the same flyer and bobbins, and a bit more wallet-friendly. The plastic drive wheel turns some people off, but I like the shot of color. Again, I do tend to prefer the less traditional-looking wheels anyway. At some point I'd like to do a real review of the wheel, both here and on Ravelry, but I'm such a newbie right now I wouldn't know what to write. I guess I'll just have to practice . . .

Oh, and in the grand tradition of spinners naming their wheels, I have called her Cricket. As with the names of my children, I have no explanation for this; it just came out of the ether.

Okay, just one more picture . . .