Wednesday, November 7, 2007

100 things about me - part 1

I started this whole "100 things about me" list ages ago, while I was proctoring a practice SAT and I couldn't knit (too loud, with the clicking). I love seeing these on other blogs and I read them whenever I have the chance. I like seeing not only the "things" themselves, but what different people choose to share, what they think is relevant or important. Or interesting or quirky or fun, you get the idea. I think I just like finding out about other people. Even in books, I always gravitate toward books with great characters over anything else.

But, 100 things in one post is kind of a lot, no? I mean, if it's over in the sidebar of a blog and I've got some time, it's pretty awesome. But if I just clicked to check on a blog I like to read and I saw this ginormous column of text I might be taken aback a little. Then again, perhaps I am merely justifying the fact that I'll, um, get more posts out of breaking up my list. Aw, don't look at me like that - posting every day is hard!

Anyway, so here goes.

  1. Except for the first year of my life, I have always lived in the same city. Not really out of any loyalty or anything, it just kind of happened that way.
  2. I was named after a Barbra Streisand song. Incidentally, I got an invite to the "circle of Jens" group on the NaBloPoMo site (is that not the funniest group ever?) and I discovered there that I am not the only one. There are other "just Jenny's" and other Jenny Rebecca's. It's a revelation, I tell you.
  3. I was born three days before Christmas 1978. My parents brought me home on Christmas Day, in a giant stocking. And a carseat, presumably.
  4. I have a sister who's almost exactly a year younger than I am. She's a radio DJ in Connecticut - she works about 5 hours a day, talking. She reads, knits, surfs the net when she's not on the air. She gets free tickets to lots of stuff, not to mention a free tattoo and free Lasik eye surgery. The girl lives a charmed life.
  5. My parents divorced before I was old enough to ever remember them not being divorced. Both remarried when I was about 10-12, and both got divorced again. My dad remarried again when I was 18. Honestly, I don't feel like any of this has done me any damage.
  6. I don't intend to do the same thing, however.
  7. I have a brother (actually a half-brother, but whatever) who is 17. My mom lets him get away with so much more than my sister and I ever did. He's a good kid, though, I feel I should mention that.
  8. I learned an awful lot about babies and kids having a brother so much younger.
  9. I went to Catholic school until 5th grade. Not to impugn all Catholic schools or anything, but I think I got a much better education having left when I did. Especially in math.
  10. I was a nerd in school, from kindergarten right on up.

Well, that's it for now. Have I whet your appetite for part 2? :)