Monday, May 21, 2007

knitting, of course

I totally admire those bloggers who can write entertaining posts that tell us all about what is going on in their lives while at the same time having an actual theme, something that ties the whole thing together. I enjoy reading such blogs and I wish I could do the same. But alas, my posts, such as this post right here, are usually disjointed and kind of random, a paragraph about one thing followed by a few hits of the return key then a completely different topic. Because a bit of space is totally an adequate segway. Anyway, I'm about to do it again. And again and again.




Big Brother finished his red garter stitch thing. I wasn't sure what he had in mind for it when he started, but he decided it was long enough and asked me to teach him how to bind off. (That's just how he asked, too. The kid definitely has the lingo down.) He made it into a tube and whipstitched it, then gave it to his sister to be her toy. "Look, she can stick her arm into it!" he said. Such a sweetie. I think one reason he wanted to quit with the red was that he was ready to move on. Immediately after finishing Baby Sister's toy he picked out some new yarn and asked to learn how to do stockinette stitch. He also chose to try size 5 needles, where the red thing was knitted on size 10.5's. This second project is proving a bit more challenging, but I think he'll get it.



Oh, and I finished some stuff too!

The first two pictures are my toe-up socks, my first complete adult-size pair of socks (I'm not really counting the pedicure socks seeing as they didn't have toes). The yarn is ArtYarns superwash merino, worsted weight, I'm not sure what the colorway was called. I knit them on size 4 Addi turbos so the fabric was thick and totally squishy. They still fit into my shoes though, as I found out when I wore them to the wool fair on Saturday. I'm running short on time so I will post about the wool fair later. The third picture is actually a purchase from said fair, some dye-your-own sock yarn that I dyed with Kool-Aid. I had never tried it before and it was so cool. The picture is really blurry but the color is about right. Where are you, sun??