Friday, July 13, 2007

a quick knit



I managed to finish the cabled baby socks in time to give them to my sister-in-law on Saturday. Baby socks made from worsted weight yarn - yeah, they were a pretty quick knit. She thought they were really cute, and they were the first gift she's gotten for the new baby. I think having the first gift be something knitted is some good mojo.
These were one of those make-it-up-as-I-go-along kind of things, which is usually not great for anything in pairs, but these were done at the same time via Magic Loop so it was no problem. I'm definitely going to be using that technique a lot (thank you, Knitlist!). The yarn was Berrocco Touche, using size 4 Addi Turbos.
Since then I've gone back to the monkey socks, and I'm at the heel on the second sock. Hopefully they will be done soon. As for the mystery stole . . . well, the mystery stole has taught me a valuable lesson. It has taught me that I am more of a project knitter than a process knitter. Certainly I love the process of knitting, and in my head I know that time spent doing something I like is never wasted, but spending that time and effort on an object that will not get used is bugging me. The problem is that nobody I know who would wear a stole would wear the bright pink color, and vice versa. Including me. I'm so not sophisticated enough for a stole. I wear jeans and flip-flops daily, and my one pair of shoes with heels are literally gathering dust in my closet, waiting for the next time I have a wedding or something to go to. It's too bad, because I really like the mystery aspect, and the camaraderie, and the guessing at the theme of the stole. Too bad it couldn't be something I would wear . . . a mystery sweater would be a bit of a leap of faith . . . maybe mystery socks? Too small? Anyway, I haven't frogged it, but I've put it aside for now. Good luck to everybody else working on them - they are very beautiful, but just not me.