Saturday, March 3, 2007

glorious chaos

The boys have a gymnastics class they go to every Saturday morning. I like this period of time very much - I drop them off, I usually go grab a coffee, then I sit in my car and knit for a while. I feel no guilt because parents are actually not even allowed to watch the class. It's nice.

Today, when I dropped them off and walked back to my car, I noticed a guy in the parking lot wearing a kilt. Huh, I thought, that's kind of interesting. Then I noticed more guys in kilts, and I heard the strains of bagpipes. It turned out that today is the St. Patrick's Day parade in my city, and the junior high school that has the gymnastics class is also the starting point for the parade. Over the hour or so that the kids were in their class, the lot slowly filled up with more bagpipers, Revolutionary War re-enactors, police and fire trucks, horses, cheerleaders, and a marching band. It was so cool - glorious chaos, indeed. Plus, the boys' faces when they came out of the school were priceless.