Sunday, September 16, 2007

monkey bread

There was a distinct chill in the air when we woke up this morning. I'd left the windows open most of the night so the house had gotten down into the mid-60's, and it smelled like fall. Definitely time to make monkey bread.

The kids and I love making monkey bread on weekend mornings. Especially when it's chilly, a warm breakfast is great. Plus it makes the house smell like cinnamon. I also like it because I'm not much for baking and the recipe, such as it is, is very loose and unscientific. And easy.

1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Put a little bit of oil in the bottom of a pie pan (lined with foil if you are lazy like me). Mix some sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Maybe about a half cup of sugar and a teaspoon or two of cinnamon. I don't know, I never really measure it. You can always put in a little more if you run out.


2. Take a pound of bread dough (made yourself if you are ambitious like that; at least I buy mine from a local bakery). Tear off small pieces and roll them around in the sugar and cinnamon, then drop them in the pie pan. The kids usually do this part. Add some chopped apple or raisins if you feel like it. Here's this morning's:


3. Put it in the oven. Today, instead of my usual keep-checking-it-until-it-looks-done method, I timed it. It took about 25 minutes. When it comes out it looks like this:

Yum!