Tuesday, January 16, 2007

so excited

I have been cordially invited to my first ever knitting group! I haven't done too much of the knitting with others yet - I mean, I have one friend who is a knitter, plus my mom and sister, and J gave it the old college try (well, maybe the old kindergarten try, but I digress), but the experience of a group of people, gathered together specifically to knit will be new to me. I'm very excited, and a bit nervous, as my newness to group knitting implies these will all be people I don't know. I don't really have an outgoing and gregarious personality, and I find many social situations awkward. This is something I should work on, though, I know. So I will go on Thursday, and I promise to post about it afterward. Jeez, look at me making promises as if I have huge numbers of readers waiting breathlessly for my next post . . .

In other news, the pretty new monitor that wasn't supposed to come in until Wednesday arrived early! On a holiday even! So between that and some new speakers this feels like a whole new computer, like one from this century even. Plus we got to get rid of the enormous stereo and its 3-foot-tall speakers that J bought in high school. No, I'm not kidding. We hold on to our technology an awfully long time around here. Ask me how old our VCR is! Ask me about our rotary phone!

And I am enjoying a bit more quiet than we had around here yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I love my boys dearly, but wow can they be loud. Is it legal for it to be rainy for virtually all of a three-day weekend? We did a bunch of Mad Libs (excerpt: "Sir, do you realize how fast you were farting?" "No, Officer, was I pooping? I have to get my butt to the hospital. She's about to have a penis!" Yeah.) many excessively violent games involving matchbox cars before I had to finally give in and let them put in some Spongebob. I did get the pleasure of watching them play with Baby Sister, though. After seeing the aforementioned matchbox-car games, you'd think they'd try to strap her to a skateboard and drive her into a wall but they are so sweet and gentle, doing the "5 Little Piggies" over and over, letting her pull their hair, and dancing around because it makes her laugh. We might have many typical sibling issues around here, but jealousy of the baby has never been one of them, and for that, as well as for many other things, I feel very lucky.