Thursday, July 19, 2007

a day at the beach. . .

. . . is not how I would describe the past couple of days. Tuesday was Wisdom Teeth Day, and also Sleep a Lot Day, and even a little bit of Throw Up Day. Wednesday was much the same. My mouth has not even bothered me all that much, but the medication has made me very sleepy and nauseous. I remember nothing about the procedure itself - nothing between getting sedated and waking up in bed later that afternoon. The funny part is, when J was driving home afterwards, he stopped to drop off my prescriptions, and when he got back to the car, I was knitting on the monkey socks. Remarkably, there aren't any crazy mistakes, dropped stitches, etc. Must have been a plain knit row.


Sunday, on the other hand, really was a day at the beach! See?

We took the kids to Spring Lake Beach in Burrillville. Yeah, the address says Glendale, but that's a made-up RI place, like Rumford or South County. Do other states do this too? I've lived in Pawtucket all my life, but some might say I grew up in Darlington then moved to Pinecrest, although my zip code didn't even change, for pete's sake. Anyway, back to the beach.

Spring Lake is a very nostalgic kind of beach, with the fried concession-stand food and an arcade that had games from as far back as the early 1930's. They work, too, and at the original 1,5, and 10-cent prices.

The guys in that last picture have little stockinette and reverse stockinette sweaters on, but the pictures wouldn't come out very good.

We also, of course, spent plenty of time enjoying the sand and the water. Little Brother, especially, spent much of the day going on this little plastic waterslide over and over again (there he is at the bottom).

As an added bonus, we even got to see a tough-looking tattooed and buzzcut guy in a Winnie-the-Pooh chair:


Indeed, there is nothing quite like a day at the beach.