Sunday, May 13, 2007

mother's day

Reasons I love my mom:

  • She is unfailingly kind.
  • She taught me to knit, for which I am eternally grateful.
  • She likes to bake. And share.
  • The single mother thing. I can't even imagine.
  • She laughed when I told her my favorite joke, the tractor joke*, which usually makes people groan and/or roll their eyes.
  • She is the most even-tempered person I have ever met. I can count the times I have heard her swear on one hand.
  • She does sweet, quirky little things for my kids, like buy them a box of Cocoa Puffs at Christmas, because she knows I don't buy it. They love this kind of thing - the first time she did it, Little Brother exclaimed on opening his gift (Oh yes, they are gift-wrapped boxes of Cocoa Puffs), "Coo-coo Pops!! How did you know?"
  • She always let my sister, my brother, and me be who we are, even when we cut off all our hair, dyed what was left bright red, and wore silver combat boots to school.
  • Did I mention she taught me to knit??

Happy Mother's Day, Mom. There's nobody else I'd rather be slowly turning into.

*Q: What did the farmer say when he lost his tractor?

A: Where's my tractor?